Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Andrew's ball game . . . .

Monday night was good! They won so we were proud. However it wasn't the greatest game; but they are not major league players so no big deal, right? well, afterwards the coaches were chewing on them negatively, telling them everyting they had done wrong and I just couldn't take it anymore--like a volcano erupting from two seasons of negativty and I burst out, "Do y'all ever say anything positive?" at this point, Jimmy joined me and we had about a two minute conversation with the coaches, where of course, they thought we were crazy. What do they not get about it? You build a child's confidence, make them think they CAN do it and they WILL! not tear them down. So upset for my child to be subjected to this game afer game. However, Jimmy and I both admit that we should not have made a scene in front of the team. We did not pick the right time to bring this up. And we feel bad about that. But one mom called me the next morning to say that her son said he was glad we did what we did, he felt like we took up for the team. We apologized to Andrew and I asked him if we embarassed him and he said "no" and that he always comes away from the "team talk" feeling bad. This is little league baseball. It is supposed to be a positive learning experience. Makes me so sad! When we got in the car, Noah said, "Mama, that is why I quit." Man, that hurt! He quit baseball two years ago but would never say why. Now our suspcisions have been confirmed. Why is it when you stand up for what is right, you feel so bad inside? Like we were wrong. Well, we know that we weren't wrong in what we were saying. We just hope that the coaches will atleast think about what we said and maybe make atleast a little change. I observed a little bit of Andrew's practice yesterday and the head coach did seem a little bit more encouraging. If this continues, then making a public spectacle of ourselves was worth it--for our children's sake.

No comments: